Taking care of your brand image, colors, logo, and designs will make you have more web traffic, customers and followers faithful to your style. Today we have compiled a list of 100 graphic design ideas that you can apply to any company. They will help you improve your corporate image, your web, your social networks and tools for your newsletters with Email Marketing tips.
Teresa Alba is a Digital Marketing consultant, content manager and one of her specialties is Creative Design. It is a pleasure to have her as a guest blogger.
In this article, I will give you up to 100 practical tips and design ideas so you know what are many of the aspects that you should take into account to enhance your brand image with your blog or corporate website.
Advantages of taking care of the design of your brand online
The typography you choose, your logo, your colors, your images … everything is part of your brand, your essence and what they remember you. Having a good corporate image helps you to differentiate yourself and be more competitive. A creative, unique and personalized style always attracts more attention. It will give you more visits, possibly more clients, and prestige in your sector.
The graphic design is not something that first associate of the online world, much less innovative. Throughout life, businesses and small businesses have had to invest in different visual marketing campaigns to promote themselves, creating business cards or billboards.
The advantage of developing an online brand versus an off-line brand is clear: we will achieve greater visibility for a lower cost.
The design of your brand is your best letter of introduction. For this you must take care of and improve the presence of your web contents, the appearance of your profiles in the different Social Networks, and the quality of the images and banners on the Internet:
- Give a very good first impression of your brand
- Positions you as a trusted brand
- Gives credibility to your products or services
- Expand your online visibility
- Increase your chances of attracting customers
- It makes every action carried out have much more impact
- Converts boring content into cool content
- It means a saving in investment costs compared to other types of advertising
4 Areas in which to improve the graphic design of your personal or corporate brand
So that your brand stands out must have an attractive and coherent design. In addition, the corporate image must be present in all media and channels related to the brand. I recommend taking into account the following aspects of graphic design and branding in the following areas:
- Corporate image
- Social networks
- Email marketing
Corporate Image Design
Let’s start by commenting on the 5 general aspects of the corporate image that will add value to your brand online, as well as 5 tips for each one of them:
Trends in design
If your image looks very dated and outdated you will not have that professional image that your brand needs to succeed. Your brand will not convey what it takes to attract potential customers. Be aware of the latest trends in design: colors and fonts. Here is the most important news:
Take care of every detail to maintain an up-to-date image that inspires credibility
- Analyze design trends in all areas, the best way to do this is to inspire you in good designs. You can look at books or look at specialized websites, yes, just be a source of inspiration.
- Follow the trends, but keeping your essence, the best way to highlight is to find the personality of the brand.
- Look for inspiration. You can follow the design studies more pointers to find out what takes more and adapt it to your style.
- Distinguish between “following trends” and “imitate”. Select the ideas you like best and look for ways to integrate or mix them to achieve a unique design.
- Do not combine “incompatible” trends. It is clear that good taste has or does not have. If you consider that yours is not very developed, ask for help from someone you consider to have it, in this way you will be sure not to mix incompatible styles.
The logo is a fundamental element of branding in charge of transmitting the identity and philosophy of your personal or corporate brand through the construction of a name (logo) with or without icon (isotype).
Some of the graphic design trends we see most in logos in recent months have to do with simplicity, retro style, or the combination of stick or serif fonts with more calligraphic ones.
If you are going to create a logo or update yours, here are some good design ideas:
- You can apply the flat design not only in a web but also in the logo.
- Bet on simplicity or extravagance (not both).
- It works very much the typography, giving a different touch or craft.
- Do not combine many colors(PayPal or FedEx use only two)
- The flat logos take much more, simplicity is an extra in terms of logos design is about.
- More and more companies that base their logo on the application of a characteristic typography associated with the brand, such as Zara.
Choice of typography
Even if you do not know, we associate the curvature of the letters to specific brands or sectors (think, for example, in the fonts used for weddings or medieval films, they are very characteristic). To choose, base on these criteria:
- High readability, the simpler the better read.
- Proper spacing between characters. If the default typography has a lot or little interleave, do not worry too much because thanks to designing programs like Illustrator you can modify it to your liking.
- Adaptability to all channels. You need to think of all the places in which you could use your logo to see that they fit well.
- Style in line with brand values. It is clear that the aesthetics of your logo has to be consistent with your goals as a brand.
- Forms that are not confused with those used in other sectors. Try not to look too much like any famous logo, this way you will not confuse your users.
In case you want to select a typography for your web or blog, you should choose a very simple one to encourage reading. Some of the sources most used for their rounded forms are Sans Serif, Montserrat or Raleway.
Along with logo and typography, good use of color is essential to communicate correctly visually. The meaning of colors varies according to different factors, so:
- Investigate the meaning of colors. Depending on what you want to transmit or the sector of your activity will be more appropriate some tone than others.
- Apply intensity depending on the emotion you want to convey.
- Try not to combine more than 3 colors at the same time.
- Do not abuse contrasts to avoid distractions.
- Check the result in different supports.
For example, a brand that applies red in its branding strategy is evoking power, as well as an energetic and positive personality. Even applying different degrees of intensity, you convey a more or less daring image.
Here I want to clarify that updating the image of your personal or corporate brand does not mean that you lose authenticity. You know you have to upgrade when:
- Your brand does not convey business values.
- You’ve gone through a crisis and you want to give a brand image wash.
- Your competition has a very similar image and is often confused.
- Your business grows in another direction and needs a more appropriate redesign.
- You do not feel identified with the current image or it has become very outdated.
If it’s time for you to change, you know, it’s about making small modifications that will make you stronger and more visible in your sector.
Design in Social Networks
Think that many of your potential customers will receive the first impression of your brand through social profiles, so make sure you look as good as possible.
An element that requires special attention is the design of the banners or the header image. Most important of all is that these designs are consistent with your corporate image, it is an extension of your brand. These and other elements (which you can design with Piktochart or Canva) are very important, but keep in mind that each social network has its peculiarities:
Personally, Twitter is a social network that attracts audiences to love. It has a lot of interactive potentials and a user profile that is relatively simple to optimize visually.
Here you will have to know well the measures of the images for publications (1024x512px), for the banner (1500x500px) and the image of your profile (400x400px).
However, you can still give it one more turn:
- Use a good image for the header, which has to do with the rest of your corporate image.
- The header image should measure 1500 × 500 px, if you place an image with a smaller size will be pixelated.
- Includes a profile photo you transmit. You can choose to place a photo of yourself or the logo of your brand. The ideal size would be 400 × 400 px.
- Use good quality photos for your tunes of at least 1024 px wide, will be much more visual and also Twitter will always highlight publications with multimedia content.
- Use the rich format offered by Twitter cards(you can design them for free and paid).
- Remember to use images that have a smile, it is a good graphic resource to attract attention and connect with your audience.
- Customize your Twitter panel with the corporate colors of your brand (you can include the code of your pantone).
***** Once you optimize your profile, try searching for your name (not your account) and check how a user would look at you among many other profiles. If you’ve done a good job, be sure to stand out. Remember that a picture is worth a thousand words.
On Facebook, you can have your personal profile and a fanpage. If you have a brand on the Internet, it is highly recommended that you create your own fan page, this way you will generate a more professional image and you can measure statistics. Here are my 5 tips for Facebook:
- Respect the measures of publications, banners and profile photo.
- The ideal size for the cover photo is 815 × 315 px, for the profile picture is 180 × 180 px.
- The format of the images that you upload to Facebook should always have a horizontal or square format.
- Never publish in vertical format since Facebook reduces the display size.
- The images must have at least 1,200 px wide.
- Remember not to exceed 20%of texts in the images you publish and that you want to promote.
- Personalize the Taps of your applications using the typography and colors of your brand, remember that the appropriate size is 111 × 74 px.
Optimally designing LinkedIn’s profile is more complex, since this platform is the network of professional contacts par excellence, and highlighting is not something that can get anyone. If I had to point 5 points, I would say:
- Include a professional and recognizable photo, try to avoid photos with accessories since it is a social network for job search and would not be suitable.
- Insert multimedia files(post on your blog, post on blogs in which you collaborate, etc.) that keep your corporate identity and help reinforce your brand.
- Include your best SlideShare slides (lectures, conferences, etc.)
This is just a few general notes. If you have proposed to enhance your LinkedIn profile and improve your personal brand through networking, continue reading more in depth on this topic.
Winning brand presence in this social network is a very good option, as this is the dearest of Google and helps to gain visibility for SEO positioning. Here are some tips to improve the design of this social network:
- Customize the images and URL of your company page or personal brand.
- The ideal size to customize the part of the header is de1088x608 px.
- The profile image should have a size of 250 × 250 px.
- 47. The images of the publications must be at least 500 px wide.
- If you create a group or community, you must customize an image that maintains your corporate identity.
Showing your professional profile on YouTube is also a great branding tool (to be told to YouTubers). And this is so because, unlike the rest of social networks, it has a very powerful content format: video.
Of all the wonders you can do on your channel to improve your image, I recommend these 5:
- Personalize your channel with a good cover photo of 2560 × 1440 px.
- Activate the ” teaser” video and share your own presentation trailer.
- Include a promotional banner(including your logo) in the header of 2560 × 1224 px.
- When editing your videos remember to always insert a “fly” with the logo of your brand.
- Take care of the images (thumbnails, labels, YouTube cards …).
- Create a common entry for all your videos (design, music, etc.) in this way your users recognize your brand.
- Remember to maintain the unity of your audiovisual image (same lighting, same planes …)
3. Web Design
Other branches of graphic design that, in turn, merge with other techniques and programming tasks, is web design.
While it is true that with the emergence of CMS like WordPress (based on a design by templates) to create an attractive and functional website is much easier than ever, it is interesting that you write down some points based on your ideal web type.
Before making some specific recommendations, your web (of whatever type) must have a responsive design.
The website of your company or business must reflect all the values that as a brand you want to contribute to your customers and, above all, clearly show what your products or services are. Therefore, your website should be designed to offer:
- Your corporate image (logo and color palette) must be present on your website.
- Customize buttons for social networks.
Needless to say, any image or visual element that is included, must have a high resolution and be seen adequately on any type of screen (also retina).
Although many company websites incorporate the blog as one more functionality, there are some brands that opt for a parallel blog design hosted in another different domain. Here are some good web design ideas for this case:
- Create an associated logo you use a new domain name.
- You can follow the visual style of the web or apply a different one.
- Define a style for the blog, but be consistent with the brand.
Have a blog inside your corporate or independent website, think that everything should go in unison to convey the same essence and brand values.
If you are going to develop a web or blog as a personal branding project, you may not have all the resources to invest in custom programming and design, so the CMS will be your great allies. Be sure to:
- Choose a complete web design template.
- Establish basic lines of style (colors, typography …).
- Use high-quality images of the same type.
- Include a personal photo or links to social networking profiles.
- Upload images with scaled sizes and appropriate formats (png, jpg or svg), the resolution should be 72 ppi.
- Use image compressors to lighten the weight, for example: Tinypng, Jpegmini, Smush, etc.
- Personalize your blog with a favicon that includes your profile picture or your logo.
- Use Gravatar to unify your brand image on all networks.
- Check with inspect elements the maximum size of your blog to upload the images to the exact size, for example: the images of head, the highlights of each post, the full size …)
- Create a gallery of resources so much of icons or cover that maintain the colors and the typography of your mark. If you are not a designer you can buy icons packs and graphic resources in portals like Envato or Graphicriver.
Not only the tone of communication and the quality of your content permeate the web of your personality, but also the way in which you represent its elements.
When it comes to selling, the truisms do not exist; Your product catalog should be the star of your online store. To do this, focus on these design tips for e-commerce:
- Apply image-based design to full screen.
- 71. Implements minimalist buttons that call for action.
- You can animate the background of your catalogs with parallax effect.
- Applying a flat design and simple typography will avoid distracting.
- With “material design“, you will give depth with simple textures.
The key is to present the most relevant content in a way that is visible at a glance.
With WordPress, you have the possibility to create landing pages very easily thanks to the implementation of plugins like Visual Composer or the free option WordPress Landing Pages Template. Choose the option you choose:
- Design a landing page with the colors and typography of your brand.
- Highlight some calls to action with complementary colors to your palette, so they will be more visual.
- Attracts attention to content and generates engagement with design to avoid distractions.
- If you include a subscription form(for example with a pop-up) that maintains the style and personality of your brand.
Remember to keep in mind that the objective of selling a landing page must be clear and direct. Do not try to decorate the design with unnecessary distractions.
4.Email Marketing Design
Finally, let’s look at some tips and graphic design ideas that you can apply if you are implementing an Email Marketing strategy to bring value and differentiation.
The newsletter format for doing email marketing is my favorite because it has an informative mission totally focused towards the generation of a brand image. Of course, you have to take care of different aspects of design:
- It includes identifying elements such as the logo and signature.
- Respect your style communication, headlines, and images.
- Apply your style in banners and buttons.
- Respect the right proportion of texts and images.
Many email marketing platforms provide their own templates, and is that working with templates predesigned in HTML is a good option, but keep in mind these tips:
- Customize any template online with your corporate image.
- Always apply the same design to all your campaigns.
- Test the display of the template in the mail managers.
If you find that your template does not receive a good acceptance after launching several campaigns, do not hesitate and change it.
Email Marketing Tools
Before choosing a tool to launch your campaigns, think that your goal is to give a good image, so make an intelligent selection based on different criteria:
- Make the most of the design that each one offers you using and customizing your templates.
- Use tools that allow you to integrate the logos of your brand.
- Always work with email marketing tools whose templates are responsive.
- Design your template in HTMLso your posts do not reach spam.
- Design your template with images that you want to highlight (content, products, etc.) always linking to your website.
- Customize the logo of the tool with your corporate colors to make it more integrated into the design.
As you see, my intention is not to recommend the best, but to prove which is the one that best suits your needs.
Banners & Promotions
Making email marketing is one more strategy to get customers, but this goal should not be obvious if you do not want to be marked as SPAM. To do this, design your banners so that:
- Adapt the banners to the size where you will integrate your Adwords / Display campaign (there are up to 20 different sizes)
- Personalize your Twitter cards with the colors of your brand and the sizes appropriate for each campaign.
- Edit Facebook ads respecting the formats of each campaign.
- The colors must be consistent with your brand but do not stand out or distract too.
- Your location is not abusive (better include them at the end).
- The visual elements respect your style.
It’s about that you position yourself as a referent, not that you sell blatantly.
Buttons / Call To Action
To finish with these 100 graphic design tips, let’s talk about the famous call-to-action buttons that are so necessary for digital marketing (and not just to do email marketing). The design of these buttons is very important to capture the attention, therefore:
- It uses a typeface visible and appropriate in relation to your brand.
- Apply striking colors consistent with your color range (not to exceed).
- Make sure the size is right.
Do you take care of all these aspects of Graphic Design?
With all this compilation of tips and ideas on graphic design for the different channels of digital communication, I hope to have given you an overview of everything that means to strengthen the image of your brand on the Internet.
Being conscious that this is a long work, of progressive and constant improvement, we must keep in mind that every change we can implement and that every penny we invest in design, will revert to our own benefit. And you have any suggestions to add to the list?