Laszlo Bock, chief operating officer of Google, who already explained what were the only ways to retain the best employees in a company, author of ” The New Formula of work “this time gives us some tips – tricks to get work in any company. Laszlo Bock assumes that most interviewers are not very good at interviewing for the best under the candidate. Here is a brief part of the book “The new formula of work” that Laszlo own He has published in his LinkedIn account.
“You never get a second chance to change a first impression”
was the main theme of an advertising campaign shampoo Head & Shoulders in the 1980s This unfortunately encapsulates how most of the interviews work.
Tricia pricket and Neha Gada-Jain, two students of psychology at the University of Toledo, collaborated with Professor Frank Berieri to report in a study that the judgments made in the first 10 seconds of an interview could predict the outcome of the interview.
They recorded interviews, and then showed “cuts” smaller and smaller tape for college students. For 9 of the 11 variables tested – such as intelligence, ambition and confidence – they found that the observers made the same assessments that interviewers. Even without meeting the candidates. Even when such a short clip shown as 10 seconds. Even with the sound off.
In other words, most of what we think is “interviewing” is actually seeking confirmation bias. Most interviews are a waste of time, because 99.4 percent of the time is spent trying to confirm the impression that the interviewer was formed early in the first ten seconds. “Tell me about you.” “What is your greatest weakness?” “What is your greatest strength?” worthless.
Therefore, if you are looking for work, the fact that most interviewers do not know how to interview the candidate is a great opportunity. Because the weakness lets you control the game. It allows you to win.
1. Predict the future. You can anticipate 90% of the questions they’ll do you do in the interview:
- Why do you want this job?
- What is the most difficult problem solved ….
- Write down the main questions you think?
that will make and practice the answers.
2. Plan your attack. For each question, write your answer. That makes it stick in your brain response. That’s important, because then the answers will be automatic and not have to think every answer during the interview.
3. Have a backup plan. In fact, for each question, write three answers. Why three? You need to have a good different answer for each question, because maybe an interviewer does not like your story. The next interviewer can hear a different story. This way you can be your advocate.
4. Sell yourself to yourself. Each question must be answered with a story that shows that you can do what you are asking. Always tells a story or gives facts to show that you are what you say you are. Finally, each interviewer know deep (provided that cares about the company) not so much about what you have, but what you can do in the company, which can contribute to the growth of the company.
5. Look at the room. Look around. Focus on the interviewer. In the first 10 seconds, see if there’s something in the office you can use to forge a connection. A book on the shelf, a family photo, a picture … etc. It reads the interviewer, is your body language open or closed? sometimes, as in the processes of purchase, they give us a discount because they have a reason to. In an interview, a reason to contract can be a bond of affinity. If we get like, being liked, and we have gained much of the work.
6. Before each interview, practice. It is not different from success in business or a professional career and skill. Practice, practice. Practice questions and answers over and over again out loud until you answer without hesitation, so that when you get to the interview you out automatically. Remember that in some way, although it sounds a little sad from the professional point of view not just hiring the best candidate, but one who has earned the interviewer during those minutes that lasts an interview.
The job interview is not the place to be completely honest, because almost no interviewer is ready to receive sincerity of a candidate. Finally, the job interview is a field where you have to use sales techniques. And, in fact, an interview is a negotiation where the product is you.If you sell well you buy, and if then the customer is not happy with the product, youdescambian (get fired). Not to mention some of the factors that do not depend on you and can affect your hiring .