To understand the resource consumption of WordPress it is necessary to understand the operation and the way that files are run in PHP because PHP is a web programming language that runs server-side.
The core of WordPress is PHP and it consume resources by simply viewing a page created with WordPress, but we must bear in mind that every plugin we install in our WordPress will increase the consumption of resources, and not only that, but the themes also increase the consumption of resources that occurs when a page created with WordPress.
This is the RAM consumption in Megabytes and queries that perform to the MySQL database some of the most used for WordPress, for testing plugins has checked the RAM consumption and queries to MySQL reloading the default index of an installation of WordPress with the theme Twenty Twelve:
- BuddyPress with all active modules: 11,64MB and 8 queries.
- bbPres with default settings: 4,82MB and 26 consultations.
- Jetpack (base) and WordPress.com logged in default: 9,10MB and 27 consultations.
- Wordfence with the default settings: 2,72MB and 28 consultations.
- iThemes Security with the default settings: 1,20MB and 12 consultations.
- WooCommerce with default settings: 5,51MB and 18 consultations.
- WordPress SEO by Yoast (data falsified by the plugin): 3,02MB to 1 consultation.
- All in One SEO Pack with default settings: 2,37MB and 8 queries.
- Akismet activated: 0,40MB and 2 consultations.
- Contact Form 7 without forms created: 0 1.7MB and consultations.
- Clef without configure anything: 1.4MB and one consultation.
- WPTouch Mobile Plugin with default settings: 2,49MB and 4 consultations.
- TablePress no table created: 0,77MB to 1 consultation.
- Anti-spam 3.5 : 0.2MB and 0 queries.
- Pretty Link Lite without any links created: 1,29MB to 1 consultation.
- Google Analytics by Yoast : 0,21MB and 0 queries.
- Google XML Sitemaps : 0,25MB and 0 queries.
- EWWW Image Optimizer with the default settings: 1,94MB, 1 queries.
- WP Smush it with the default settings: 0,55MB and 4 consultations.
- Shortcodes Ultimate without inserting a shortcode: 2.3MB and 2 consultations
- TinyMCE Advanced : 0,28MB and 0 queries.
- Yet Another Related Posts Plugin unchecked: 0.9MB and one consultation.
Some plugins appointees could run background threads or processes to consume more memory than is shown. One of the plugins that more RAM and CPU resources consumed in background is the plugin of Broken Link Checker, the more outbound links have our blog, the higher the consumption Broken Link Checker.
On the other hand, I also wanted to make clear that the more consultations, more RAM consumption increases forced by the MySQL server, so that consumption of RAM consumption adds to the PHP interpreter performing web server.
Things to keep in mind after seeing the previous listing:
- We must be very careful with Jetpack, if having any active module consumes almost 10 MB of RAM and makes 27 queries, they go activating modules of RAM consumption and MySQL queries to shoot.
- The plugins that generate the sitemap peaks have a quite high resource consumption when you run the task of creating the Center, the more pages with the highest website will be, the more consumption of RAM is.
- The plugin WordPress SEO by Yoast is famous in the WPO by “hide” their consumption of resources through technical bit “ethical”, namely it is able to fool the plug P3 Profiler for WordPress that allows you to view RAM memory consumption.
This article is not intended as a reference, just trying to imply that installing a simple plugin may increase or significantly reduce the need to keep a blog online with hundreds of thousands of concurrent visitors infrastructure.
Ideally for a plugin would not consume more than 5MB of RAM per request and not adding any query or not more than 2 queries , since the result if we put more than 20 plugins with theme “new” is a WordPress which consumes about 100 MB on request , this would equate roughly to 3000 concurrent users on a dedicated server with 32 GB of RAM as long as the settings are correct (must take into account the subsequent benefit plugins cache, but we’ll think we talked about pages Interactive you can not cache).