In my case, I like Windows 10, but there are points that I just did not convince. One of these points is the photo viewer. For this reason, in the following article, we will see how we can reuse the classic Windows 7 or 8 photo viewer in Windows 10.
REASONS WHY I DO NOT LIKE THE WINDOWS 10 PICTURE VIEWER
The reasons why you do not want to use the Windows 10 Photo Viewer are as follows:
- The transparent background of the photographs is black. This is a problem when working in .png files with the transparent background because when I copy and paste a photo with the tool cuts I have the black background.
- In my case, the photo viewer in Windows 10 is extremely slow. From the moment I click on the file until I can see the image spends too much time.
- In my case, I want a simple, quick photo viewer that only allows me to see photos. I’m not interested in photo editing and photo collection manager options because it seems to slow down the photo viewer.
- For many years I have used the classic image viewer in Windows. Man is a creature of habit.
- It is a program that is designed to be used on touch screens.
Even though I do not use the Windows 10 Photo Viewer it must be recognized that polishing it will be much better than the classic Windows Photo Viewer.
RECOVER/RESTORE THE CLASSIC PICTURE VIEWER IN WINDOWS 10
The procedure for recovering the classic photo viewer in Windows 10 is extremely fast. The process consists of 2 steps:
Modify the Windows registry to recover the classic photo viewer
We will add the relevant entries in the Windows registry to be able to reuse the classic photo viewer in Windows.
For this we click on the following URL to download the file that will allow us to modify the registry:
Once the file is downloaded, we will find it and double-click it.
Next, the following security warning will appear in which we must click Run.
Note: Do not worry. I can assure you that the process is 100% safe.
Then the following window will appear where we will press the Yes button.
Then the following window will appear informing us that the registry keys have been added correctly. To finish the process we will just have to press the OK button.
We are now able to view our photos with the classic Windows file viewer.
Select the type of images we want to see with the classic Windows viewer
Now we can use the classic Windows viewer, but we still need to configure the classic photo viewer as default.
To do this we press the key combination Win + I. When the Windows setting window opens, click on the Apps :
Then in the panel on the left click on the option “Default apps”, then in the section of photo viewer click on the icon of the Windows 10 photo viewer and when the window to choose an application click on the Viewer Photos from Windows.
At the moment, any photo we open on our computer will open with the classic Windows Photo Viewer.
In the case that in a specific way we want to open an image with a program other than the classic photo viewer; we can do the following:
- We place the mouse pointer over the image that we want to visualize.
- Press the right mouse button.
- When the context menu appears, access the Open With option.
- Finally, click on the application that you want to use to visualize the image.
If you prefer, you can also use a default program depending on the extension of the image to be displayed.
If you want to apply the setting to all images so that you could open them by double clicking, simply right click on the image, then click on “Properties” and a window will appear, click “Change” and select the “Windows Photo Viewer” then hit Apply and OK. You have not that, if you are doing this only for *.JPG file, it will apply to .JPG file only. For .PNG, .GIF and other formats, you have to apply the same method indivudually only 1 time.
POINTS TO BE IMPROVED BY THE WINDOWS 10 PICTURE VIEWER
My opinion is that the current Windows 10 Photo Viewer needs to improve the following aspects:
- It is very well focused for use in a touch environment, but not in a device that does not have a touch screen. Simply adding some features and functionality in the program could solve this point.
- You should be able to choose the background color that we want the viewer to have.
- You should be able to enter text using the keyboard in the image. In addition, it would be very interesting that we could insert predefined shapes in the images such as arrows, lines, rectangles, text boxes, etc.
- The program should be faster.
By simply modifying the points I quote, the Windows 10 Photo Viewer would be the perfect tool for anyone working in an office.