Learning SEO for blog, is much simpler than it seems. In today’s post, I share with you the basics so that anyone can get into this subject in the simplest way possible. I assure you that if I could understand the fundamental principles of SEO, then you too can.
Throughout this article I will explain the structuring of SEO, and a number of shortcuts, so you can make simple changes on your site and content. We have also developed “SEO for Beginners Part 2”, so that once you finish reading this super useful post, you can continue to learn the other part of the structure of SEO, that deals specifically with Pagerank, and all you can do to improve and get more traffic to your site. Be sure to check it out!
My history with the myth of SEO for blogs
When I started the blog Postcron, to be honest, I did not have much knowledge about the “theory” of how to build it, optimize it and take it further. I just knew I loved to write, transmit knowledge and help from my place to others with their projects and businesses.
That was the day I had to prepare to investigate / study on SEO for bloggers, I came across a lot of information, words, structures which themselves are not complicated, but they were explained or written in a complicated way, which I generated this feeling:
That (poor) first impression, I think that is because many of the experts who write about this, given the understanding that you already “know something” theme, or who is expert in blogging, HTML, or a geek super wisely to process big data, which I confess, I am very far from my reality and I think many of you reading these lines now.
After having gone through the giant mountain that I did manage to get through, assimilate and learn (something, I continue on that path), I decided to do an introductory article to SEO for blogs, as simple and friendly as possible, ideal for those who how at the time, know little or nothing about SEO. What is, what it does and how to apply it in a blog, it is the key to this blog.
WHAT IS SEO?
SEO means Search Engine Optimization.
I must confess that, years ago, the first time I was appointed that word, I knew if I were talking about the founder (CEO) of a company or what … if low SEO had thought for blogs.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
For Google or other search engines can return the user results that really are useful and relevant for it, they use “spiders” that go out to investigate and analyze each of the web pages to choose those that are High quality and fit to the search. The search engine algorithm weighs the relevance and popularity of the content (including dozens of factors), and accordingly the ranks and returns the search results as a list, being the most popular, appropriate first synthesis. The user relies on the intelligence of the engine and means you’ll have more luck when clicking on the first link, which in the tenth on the list, which for those who are on the other side of the wall (GOT, lol) It is the great fear and challenge to overcome.
In short, know that SEO allows us to optimize our articles, and get more chances of being ranked 1 and not 26.
WHAT AND WHY you should know about SEO for blogs?
Why? To be in the number one spot on the list of search engine results.
- 1- They’re very good at writing and that people really think that your content is valuable, which gives you a lot of authority, popularity and among other things, makes you feel that all the effort and commitment that you put, what you make is worth.
Leaving aside the sentimental … move on to point two:
- 2-That can make more money (much). It is crude, but it’s real. If you’re in the number of one spot or nearby, you have more chances of that click on your link, which means more traffic, more number of leads, sales, subscribers, advertising, sponsors, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc , etc.
STRUCTURE OF SEO: ON – OFF
It is all you can do on your site or article to optimize and allow the spiders find, analyze, and the search engine as a good post position in the ranking of results related to the topic or keyword of your post.
All those external factors that influence the positioning of your article : popularity on social networks (mentions and how sharing is), if other sites are linking to your articles, comments, among others (many) things . The search engine weighs all this information to measure the relevance and quality of content, and decide if it is worth showing it or not.
WHAT AND HOW TO OPTIMIZE YOUR BLOG
These are based on page optimization of your article. Therefore it is very important to make a smart spiders so that you can find and use show. Otherwise, you must have a great content and to be a great writer, but if you do not find all, that is obsolete.
On the use of keywords in the text, MOZ is one of the companies with more authority on the subject and in his beginners guide suggests the following about where and how often incorporate in the article. After this “checklist” developed in more detail each of its points:
- At least once in the main title (H1).
- At least one or two headings or subheadings.
- At least 3 times in the article body.
- At once they are marked “bold” and “italics”
- At least once in the “Alt” of an image (below show you how I do it and why)
- Once the URL
- At least once in the Meta description.
In more detail, where ….
it is important that your URL is not very long, as it can be seen as a spam for spiders, so it better be rather short, and that includes the key words. You can edit in case your original title is long. Look at my example:
It is the first that the algorithm analyzes and pay attention, so you should use this space for your keyword. We recommend not going over the 70 characters (including spaces) in a title and that is the amount shown in the search results. This also has to do with Twitter, since we must leave enough space for them to share the link, not shorten it.
the second, to that spiders are directed to analyze, are subtitles, or headings or H2, 3, 4, (etc) or how you prefer. We recommend using H2 for these cases, as they are the most valuable. Therefore, we recommend placing them in one of the keyword. No need to do in each of them, because be unnatural.
It is suggested to add 3 times the keywords. They can be a little more, as long as there remains artificial and the text length permitted. A high density of keywords in a text, it can be a negative factor for Google, and consider low-quality article. However, more than the keywords, the most important of SEO for blogs is your blog. The content, what you write is your best strategy. If quality, original, with good images, videos, and links that serve as a source of true complementary information to your readers, then the rest of the actions that you make about it, really functions as optimizer.
The meta description tag in is not a factor charted for the algorithm but it is the text that uses the engine to display the results of the search and that should be attractive. From the administration panel of your blog, you can modify it to include your keywords there too.
Images are also an element that can optimize. A name that has to do with the keyword or topic, so that they are shown in the image search results, becoming another source to bring traffic to your blog. Instead of using “aksdbaksjdba254684.jpg” include time, a good short description and referring to your topic, not the topic itself (not?). Not worth putting: “basesyfundamentosdeseoparabloggers.jpg”.
- Besides, putting a descriptive file name of the image, the “Alt-text” or alternative text is the text that browsers (Chrome, Firefox, etc.) show the user if for some reason can not display the image. This alternative text is important for search engines because it is an “alternative” to the image. See how you can define it in WordPress:
There are several tools you can use to confirm if the keyword you’ve chosen, is what people use to find content you’re writing.
- Tip of Google, for example. There will be displayed, which is most often used when seeking information on your topic sentence. For instance:
- Google Keywords Planner : for those who have never used this tool, I leave a tutorial of the Google people so they can learn from the basics of how to use it.
Well, this is basic and essential to keep in mind regarding “On page optimization”
Regarding Off page optimization, remember that external factors are those that affect the positioning of your article.
- Backlinks: all pages are citing our article used a link; external links are pointing to our article. When someone creates a link from outside (from another site / blog), pointing to our article, is generating a backlink and that benefits us, because the more people cite our article on their blogs or sites, spiders considered that are relevant and your article will have more weight when positioned in the ranking. You find anywhere that come many packages that offer “backlinks” to be bought, but please try not to. An excellent choice and strategy to generate backlinks naturally, is that colleagues can share your links in your articles, and then you share the site or post them. Thus, not only generate community among you, but forms a “chain of favors” that will greatly benefit both sides.
- Sharing your post on social networks. Not only will generate more traffic to your blog, but also spiders seek those posts that have been shared many times, talked about and mentioned in social networks. These are weighty factors when it comes to influencing the search engine positioning.
Other things to consider:
1-Choose platform easy to use and implement SEO strategies. I recommend WordPress because it is sincerely practiced easier and I found there also sooooo many more plugins, widgets, and apps compatible with WP with other platforms, which is ideal for those entering the world of SEO for bloggers. We use SEO plugin called ” WordPress SEO by Yoast “. Here I show you how you can, from WP, verify that your SEO is correct. From the admin page, below your article, note the following:
I hope you find this post very useful, and that if something I missed in this roadmap, please leave a comment so I can add it!
Update !: Part 2 of this guide can be found here -> “SEO for Beginners Part 2”