An antivirus is a program that aims to detect and eliminate computer viruses. The antivirus is responsible for trying to clean files infected by viruses, thus blocking or eliminate the plague virus that harms your files. Antivirus are made to have the greatest capacity to detect different types of malware such as spyware, Trojans, worms, rootkits, among others.
Depending on the antivirus you may have installed on your computer this has an engine that can work in different ways, but in general terms, no antivirus is 100% effective in its objective, as Fred Cohen showed, which determined that there is no perfect algorithm To identify a virus.
This is because at each moment arise new viruses and these try to be the least detectable possible of the antivirus trying to evade the techniques and parameters of anti-virus stops. That is why most antivirus companies currently maintain virus databases and keep their virus detection algorithms constantly updated.
Some mechanisms used by antivirus to detect viruses
- Real-time analysis. This is a function that has the current antivirus that keeps constantly scanning the files that are running in the background and everything that is done in real time, this works without having to scan the computer since the antivirus goes practically Reviewing the files that they execute or with which the user interacts.
- Detection by sandbox (sandbox). They run the software on virtual machines that determines if the software executes malicious instructions or not. Weighing that this mechanism is safe, it takes quite some time to run the tests before running the software on the actual machine.
- Detection by behaviour. They scan the system after detecting a fault or malfunction. Generally, through this mechanism can be detected software already identified or not, but it is a measurement that is used after the infection.
- Digital signature. It is to compare a unique markup of the file with a virus database to identify a match.
Some of the functions that an antivirus has
- Email protection. Scan outgoing and incoming emails to make sure they are virus free. It also contains an antiphishing filter that detects attempts to impersonate public administration, prestigious company, banks, trust pages, etc …
- Backups (BackUP). It allows you to make backup copies of the most important documents you have stored on your computer. Such backups can be used to restore files in case of damage or loss of files.
- Analyse website links (URL’s). Check if a URL is linked to a page that contains a virus. This functionality usually comes in an extension that is installed in the browser.
- Real-time analysis. This feature analyses the files and programs with which the user interacts and processes in the background in real time.
Most Popular Antivirus
Below I make mention of the most popular antivirus.
- Avast Antivirus.
- Mcafee AntiVirus.
- Kaspersky Antivirus.
- AVG Antivirus.
- Avira Antivirus.
- Panda Security.
If you have any doubts or concerns about the antivirus please leave a comment.